A few month ago our besties over at Hunt & Gather asked if Kevin would pop along to a proposal lunch and make some gin inspired food for the good folks at Catapult. Off he popped and whipped up a treat. They liked it! We liked it! It was great. Then we waited. A call came, suddenly and hurriedly. The job was on, a secret of great magnitude and they wanted secret, strange and magical canapés. But it was a new season, so new treats had to be made! We rapidly whipped up a wonderful suggestion of canapés and sent it off.
- Brioche toast topped with gentleman's relish, gin marmalade pickle and gin washed Goatsbridge trout caviar.
- Sourdough and smoked butter cucumber sandwiches
- Devils on Horseback [dates stuffed with apple and gin compote then wrapped in Broughgammon goat bacon]
- Gin turkish delight in a woodruff and black pepper sugar
We also had a special request for a set of brunch canapés for the Gentleman's Academy which were:
- Broughgammon Billy Burger wrapped eggs, topped with beer mustard, gin and marmalade pickle and gin washed Goatsbridge Trout Caviar
- Tonic water battered Oysters with housemade pickles and goat bacon hollandaise
- Tisane and gin soaked prunes wrapped in panchetta
The turkish delight was a revelation with a little playing around we got our recipe down and we've been asked a few time if we'd share it, so here you go!
45gr lemon juice
70gr cucumber juice/water
1gr green food dye
15 leaves of gelatine
Line a small tray about 15cm x 15cm with strong clingfilm.
Place all the ingredients in a heavy based pot except for the gelatine. Cut up the gelatine and place in a bowl and cover with water. Bring the pot to a gentle simmer for 15 minutes. Squeeze the water from the gelatine and whizz into the mixture. Pour into the prepared tray and chill in the fridge for 6 hours. At this point you can cut them up and coat them in icing sugar [OR] cover than shit in chocolate! Either way, it keeps well. It tastes great. You want to get a different flavour mix it up.
CLASSIC TURKISH DELIGHT
- 125gr water
- 45gr rosewater
- 125gr water
-45gr orange blossom water
There you go! All wrapped up, done and dusted. Happy days. It was a great event and we enjoyed every moment of it.